The Theodore Tannenwald Jr. Foundation for Excellence in Tax Scholarship for Excellence in Tax Scholarship is named for the late Tax Court Judge Theodore Tannenwald, Jr.
It is designed to perpetuate his dedication to legal scholarship of the highest quality, the Tannenwald Writing Competition is open to all full- or part-time law school students, undergraduate or graduate.
Papers on any federal or state tax-related topic may be submitted in accordance with the Competition Rules
$5,000, $2,500 and $1,500 for the top three papers.
The Competition is open to
- law students, undergraduate (J.D.) or graduate (L.L.M. or S.J.D.), enrolled full or part-time in a U.S. law school during the 2017/18 academic year; and
- other students enrolled during such academic year in a U.S. law school tax course as part of an MBA or other non-law degree program. Submitted papers must focus primarily upon technical or policy-oriented tax issues relating to any type of existing or proposed U.S. federal or state tax or U.S. federal or state taxation system (including topics relating to tax practice ethical and professional responsibility matters).
To know about the paper submission, click here.
Cover page information:
Each submitted paper shall have a cover page which includes
- the title of the article;
- the name, law school and class, address, phone number and e-mail address of the submitting student; and
- the name, address, phone number and e-mail address of the faculty sponsor.
The title of the paper shall also appear on the first page of the paper, after the cover page; but the names of the student, faculty sponsor or their school should not appear in the paper text or footnotes of the paper.
All papers submitted for the Competition must be received by the Foundation by no later than 9:00 p.m. EDT, July 6, 2018. The original of each paper (but no additional copies), along with the signed faculty sponsor communication, should be mailed or hand-delivered to the following address:
The Tannenwald Foundation
700 Sixth Street, NW, Ste. 700
Washington, D.C. 20001
Attn: Sandie Kiedrowski
In addition, each paper and faculty sponsor communication should be transmitted electronically, in MS Word or PDF, to Ms. Kiedrowski at: SandieKiedrowski@eversheds-sutherland.com.
For more information about the Competition Rules, click here.
Nancy Abramowitz, at (202) 274-4164 (firstname.lastname@example.org).