Nevada County is inviting applications from eligible candidates for its student law clerk internship program in California.
About Nevada County
Nevada County employs approximately 800 employees covering a full range of services and positions, from accountants to wastewater treatment system operators.
About the Internship
Nevada County is inviting applications from eligible candidates for its student law clerk internship program in California. This position will be in the Nevada County Public Defender’s Office and will report to their assigned attorney/advisor within the office. Candidates selected for the position would be asked to perform a range of duties from very basic activities to those requiring higher skill levels to enhance a department’s operations.
Minimum 16-19 hours per week. Hours can be scheduled in 2 to 8 hour blocks of time during regular business hours (Monday through Friday).
Roles and Responsibilities
- Interview clients, complainants, witnesses, and others.
- Research and writing of pleadings
- Represent clients from arrest through sentencing.
- Participate in in-house training and on-the-job training.
- Assist in the development and implementation of an early representation program, including interviewing recently arrested people while they are incarcerated.
- Students currently enrolled in Law School.
- Desirable but not necessary is the ability to be certified by the State Bar to appear in court and represent clients with supervision.
- Must have a neat appearance, be detail-oriented, reliable, good written and oral skills.
- Public Speaking in Court Setting.
- Must practice privacy policies.
- Experienced in Microsoft Outlook & Word.
- Interpersonal and Research Skills.
Interns need be able to stand or walk much of the time, with bending, stooping, and squatting, twisting, reaching, working on irregular surfaces, occasional lifting of objects weighing over 25 pounds, and frequent lifting of 10-25 pounds.
$24.90 per hour.
How to Apply?
Interested candidates can apply through the link provided at the end of this post.
If any further queries, please contact us at Coordinator@co.nevada.ca.us or by phone at (530) 265-7191.