Jackson LLP’s Illinois office is looking for eligible candidates for the position of Research Attorney.
About Jackson LLP
Jackson LLP is a boutique healthcare firm with a client-centered ethos and friendly work environment.
About the Opportunity
The Research Attorney role is a new position at Jackson LLP. The firm will also consider unlicensed applicants with a JD for an alternative Law Librarian position.
This candidate will provide legal research, writing, and editorial support to the firm’s attorneys. The work will often be time-sensitive and requires an exquisite attention to detail. The candidate is expected to be comfortable working with the primary sources that form the bedrock of healthcare law practice: federal/state statutes, federal/state regulations, regulatory alerts and opinions, and Medicare/insurance regulations.
This candidate will be expected to work regular business hours and will not have a billable hour requirement. The firm offers a generous benefits package, including paid time off and bonuses.
Applicants seeking a part-time role will be considered. Any part-time position requires a consistent four- or five-day workweek with a minimum of 25 hours per week.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Perform detailed, time-sensitive legal research to support our healthcare-specific transactional and compliance practice. This includes cite-checking our work product, undertaking complex research assignments and writing memos to attorneys, and critically editing attorneys’ written work.
- Perform preliminary research to engage in a nuanced discussion with an attorney who is providing guidance to a client.
- Review clients’ internal documents that were not prepared by our firm to determine their accuracy and identify whether updates are required.
- Provide practical training, education, and support to the firm’s law clerks, summer associates, and junior attorneys about research- and writing-related topics.
- Support the firm partners’ procurement of new business, including research and prepare brief internal memos about emerging areas of law or nuanced topics raised by potential or new clients.
- Collaborate with the firm’s Managing Partner and Marketing Director to ensure the accuracy of educational articles and website content.
- Stay abreast of and proactively educate the firm’s attorneys about new developments in health law.
- Regularly review the firm’s internal policies and procedures to ensure our ongoing reliance on the most current versions of applicable state and federal employment laws.
- For the attorney role: Active and in good standing with the Illinois, New York, or California bar, plus a minimum of one year of non-legal professional writing experience, whether before or after law school.
- For the librarian role: Juris Doctor and Masters in Information Science, Library Science, or Law (with librarianship focus). Those with comparable degrees are encouraged to apply. A law license is not required, but completion of the JD at an ABA-accredited law school is required.
- Demonstrated experience performing in-depth legal research in a professional, non-academic capacity.
- Focus, organization, and calm composure to manage time-sensitive work and competing deadlines.
- Proactive approach towards time and project management.
- Intellectual curiosity and genuine interest in broadening your subject matter expertise.
- Superior communication skills with the ability to dynamically modify your writing for different audiences and purposes.
- Comfortable communicator across a variety of mediums, including group meetings, phone calls, email, formal memos, and business correspondence. This is accompanied by a willingness to communicate with individual attorneys via their preferred communication medium.
- Friendly. Jackson LLP is a supportive workplace that is committed to offering its employees a pleasant, mutually supportive, and warm work environment. Competitiveness is not fostered or tolerated.
- Demonstrates a high level of integrity, confidentiality, judgment, and discretion.
- Ability to work in-person in Evanston, Illinois.
- Amenability to working in this role in a long-term, indefinite capacity.
- Vaccinated against Covid; willingness to take precautions as required (e.g., masking, testing, additional vaccinations).
The salary range for this position is $65,000 to $80,000
Perks and Benefits
- Health insurance (with employer contribution)
- Dental insurance (paid by employer)
- Vision insurance (paid by employer)
- Short-term disability insurance (paid by employer)
- 401k retirement with employer match
- Paid personal time off
- Paid holidays
How to Apply?
Click on the link below the post to apply.