American Oversight in Washington is inviting applications from eligible candidates for its remote legal internship.
About American Oversight
American Oversight is dedicated to holding the government accountable. Through open records requests and the power of the courts, it is working every day to uncover corruption, malfeasance, or other misconduct and to hold the government up to public scrutiny.
About the Opportunity
American Oversight is looking for a committed and motivated Legal Intern to join its team for Fall 2023. This internship is open to law students who will have completed their first semester of law school before the internship commences.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Review and research current events to spot potential legal issues and to identify opportunities to uncover state and federal government malfeasance or unethical conduct.
- Collaborate with the research team to craft, review, and revise draft FOIA and state open records act requests.
- Draft FOIA and state open records act administrative appeals.
- Draft court pleadings, including complaints, motions, and briefs or brief sections.
- Conduct legal research to support our litigation strategy.
- Prepare reports and other editorial content for the website based on the findings of investigations.
- Attend and participate in regular meetings with our Legal Team and broader staff.
- Commitment to public-interest advocacy.
- Exceptional writing, research, and oral communications skills.
- An interest in government ethics and accountability, legal investigations, and/or government oversight.
- Self-motivated and dependable.
- Sound judgment and ability to analyze situations and information.
- Ability to work collaboratively.
- A high degree of professional ethics and integrity.
$20 per hour.
How to Apply?
- Interested candidates can apply through the link provided at the end of this post.
- The applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible.
- Please include a resume and cover letter with your application.
Work from home/ Remote.