The Nieves Law Firm is currently looking for a Paralegal for their California office.
About the Company
The Nieves Law Firm is a criminal defense firm serving Oakland, California, and its surrounding areas. The firm has been named one of the fastest-growing law firms in the nation by the Law Firm 500 for the past three years in a row. The Nieves Law Firm has also been recognized for the past three years as one of the fastest-growing companies owned or managed by Florida State University Alumni.
About the Opportunity
This role requires the ability to produce criminal defense pleadings in a timely and accurate fashion. The candidate must have experience with drafting criminal defense motions, trial binding, and criminal forms. The goal of the paralegal should be to offer support to the lead attorney in a way that will make them more productive, efficient, and effective for the clients.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Organize files and present flagged information to the attorney
- Docket and calendar events, meetings, and court hearings
- Update and manage the firm’s online case management system
- Communicate with clients by providing updates and answering questions that do not involve legal advice
- Communicate with outside agencies, clients, vendors, etc. regarding case statuses or matters
- Compile and prepare documents for court filing (personally, by mail, electronically, etc) via the process server with applicable instructions and filing fees
- Collaborate with firm attorneys regarding case statuses, tasks, deadlines, and projects
- Conduct research on laws, legal articles, and regulations
- Issue spot and draft relevant motions for attorney review and submission.
- Draft documents by customizing applicable forms and pleadings for attorney review and editing
- Draft correspondence on behalf of the attorney for attorney signature and review
- Draft motions, court forms, mitigation packets, information requests, subpoenas, and other legal documents ensuring proper formatting, style, and captions on firm documents
- Prepare discovery requests and responses to discovery demands for attorney review • Secure timely transcription of case-related audio and video recordings
- Ensure timely preparation and service of witness subpoenas for relevant hearings as well as timely call-offs when no longer needed
- Coordinate experts, investigators, and other third-party service providers for all cases where needed
- Complete case summaries and memos for case file and attorney review
- Help attorneys prepare cases for hearings (trial binders, scheduling calls, document gathering, PowerPoint, etc.)
- Assist attorneys in the courtroom with contested hearings.
- A minimum of two-years of CRIMINAL LAW experience is required
- To be a key player on the team you must be dependable, punctual, computer literate, a fast typist, and have a great attitude
- You must have excellent communication skills and pay attention to detail
- You must complete projects within the assigned deadlines
- Exhibit the highest level of dependability when it comes to tracking and meeting deadlines
- The ideal candidate must be proficient in Word, Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint, Lexis Nexis, and Mac Operating Systems
- Experience with online case management systems or client relationship management systems is preferred
- This position requires a high school diploma but an Associate’s degree or legal training is preferred
How to Apply
Interested candidates may apply through the link provided at the end of this post