The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) is inviting applications from enthusiastic and motivated candidates for a Mediation Internship in New York, USA.
The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) is a United Nations agency tasked with helping countries eliminate poverty and achieve sustainable economic growth and human development.
Roles and Responsibilities
The Office is looking for an intern to support the mediation unit of the Office in carrying out the activities described below.
Support the mediation unit’s training and project activities
- Under the supervision of the Mediation Officer, the intern will be involved in the preparation of the mediation unit’s training materials, projects, and coordination of various events.
- Support the mediation unit’s mediation casework.
- Under the supervision of the Mediation Specialist/Manager of the Mediation Unit, the intern will assist the Mediation Specialist/Manager of the Mediation Unit with mediation cases, including by developing necessary templates, conducting initial intake calls, drafting letters, conducting legal research, shadowing mediations, drafting correspondence, and analyzing mediation surveys.
Support the mediation unit’s development of the Global Mediation Panel
- Under the supervision of the Mediation Officer, the intern will assist with engaging on-call external mediators, managing, and supervising thereof, including by developing necessary templates, and materials.
- Under the supervision of the Mediation Specialist, the intern will assist with developing a global arbitration panel, arbitration materials, and training for non-staff personnel.
To qualify for consideration the following conditions must be met:
- Be enrolled in a postgraduate degree programme in Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) or law (such as a master’s programme, or higher).
- Be enrolled in the final academic year of a first university degree programme in ADR or law (such as a bachelor’s degree or equivalent).
- Have recently graduated with a university degree in ADR or law (as defined in (a) and (b) above) and, if selected, must start the internship within one year from graduation; or
- Be enrolled in a postgraduate professional traineeship program in ADR or law and undertake the internship as part of this program.
- Master’s degrees in Human Resources, Organizational Behaviour, Psychology, Counselling and other social sciences may be considered.
Required Skills and Experience
- Knowledge and/or understanding of ADR is highly preferred and some work experience will be an advantage.
- A strong interest in the area of mediation and arbitration is required, which could be demonstrated by education, training, or experience.
- Fluent written and spoken English is required.
How to Apply?
Interested candidates can apply through the link provided at the end of this post.
July 14, 2023.
New York, USA.