The Library of Congress, Washington DC is looking for a full-time Legal Research Fellow.
About the Organization
The Library of Congress is the research library that officially serves the United States Congress and is the de facto national library of the United States.
About the Position
The Library of Congress, Washington is looking to hire a full time Legal Research Fellow to work on foreign, comparative, and international law under the guidance of a staff foreign law specialist.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Participate in-group efforts on research projects related to laws and legal systems of North African countries and other Francophone jurisdictions as a member of a collaborative team
- Undertake and/or help with research and data analytical tasks of moderate complexity to support the development of an array of analytical and descriptive products or components.
- Under supervision, create and update research guides, and contribute to research products in digital and analogous formats produced by the Law Library of Congress
- Assist staff of the Global Legal Research Directorate with selected research questions related to the countries of Northern Africa and other Francophone jurisdictions and contributes to reference responses provided by the Library of Congress to users
- Draft legal documents
- Recommend foreign language sources and prepares bibliographies and short translations needed for responding to reference inquiries by Library of Congress patrons
- Apply knowledge of commonly used legal sources, emerging legal and policy resources to support research within an area for which the employee has been assigned
- Under staff supervision, draft reference responses to simple inquiries on laws and other legal issues of select foreign countries
- With assistance, perform literature searches and reviews within defined parameters for materials of moderate complexity
- Evaluate publications in the collection for authoritativeness, relevance, currency, etc., and participates in discussions concerning acquisition recommendations
- Applicants must preferably have a J.D equivalent from a country of Northern Africa or another Francophone jurisdiction
- and had progressively responsible experience and training sufficient in scope and quality to furnish them with an acceptable level of the following knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform the duties of the position without more than normal supervision
- Ability to coordinate and perform administrative and clerical functions to support the work of an office
- Ability and experience in conducting legal research
- Knowledge of the processes, procedures, and practices sufficient to conduct legal research
How to Apply?
Click on the link at the end of the post to apply.