USAO, Southern District of Illinois is looking for ideal candidates for the position of law student volunteers for their office.
About United States Attorney’s Office
USAO serves as the principal litigator representing the United States of America within the district. The United States Attorney has the responsibility and authority to prosecute violations of federal criminal statutes, defend the government in civil actions, seek the enforcement of a variety of civil enforcement statutes, and institute proceedings for the collection of fines and penalties, among other things.
About the Opportunity
United States Attorney’s Office, Southern District of Illinois is looking for 5 students for the position of law student volunteer for their office.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Perform legal research and writing assignments in federal civil, criminal, or appellate cases.
- Work closely with Assistant United States Attorneys (AUSAs) on case development and formulation of legal strategy.
- Attend and observe various court proceedings.
- Second-year and third-year law students only.
- Strong academic standing and research skills.
- Applicants must be U.S. citizens.
- All students selected for the internship are subject to a background investigation and must be granted a favorable security waiver in lieu of a full-field background investigation or a favorable full-field background investigation in order to work in this Office.
- During the period of the internship, interns are not permitted to work for any other law firm, legal clinic, or other entity engaged in the practice of law.
- Applicants must have resided in the U.S. for three of the five years immediately prior to applying (unless the period of outside residency was pursuant to military service or federal employment).
Duration of the Internship
8-12 weeks. Actual length of service during the internship and hours of duty will be mutually determined
between the student and the Program Coordinator(s).
How to Apply?
Complete application packages may be addressed to the Internship Hiring Committee and submitted by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The application package should contain a Cover letter explaining the applicant’s interest in this particular office, the applicant’s resume and their Law School Transcript.
All documents should be submitted in PDF format, and the subject line of the email should read “Fall 2023 Intern Application.”.