USAO District of New Mexico is looking for a Volunteer Law Student for Spring 2024.
About USAO District of New Mexico
The U.S. Attorney’s Office for the District of New Mexico is one of 94 U.S. Attorney’s Offices in the nation. The U.S. Attorney’s Office is primarily responsible for prosecuting federal crime occurring in the District of New Mexico. The U.S. Attorney’s Office partners with tribal, state, county, and city governments to ensure that the communities are safe and prosperous.
About the Opportunity
USAO District of New Mexico is looking for a Volunteer Law Student for Spring 2024 for their legal internship program in the civil and criminal division.
Roles and Responsibilities
Assignments will include legal research, drafting pleadings and responses and preparing appellate briefs.
If assigned to the Criminal Division, interns will assist attorneys in all phases of criminal prosecution including charging decisions, discovery, pretrial hearings, trials, sentencings, and habeas corpus actions.
If assigned to the Civil Division, interns will assist in all phases of civil litigation including discovery, depositions, pretrial hearings, and trials.
- Any law student enrolled at least half-time, and who has completed at least one semester of law school is eligible to apply for volunteer internship positions at any time.
- First-year law students who have not completed their first semester may apply for volunteer internships after December 1.
- Part-time law students and joint-degree candidates may also apply for volunteer internship positions.
- Must be a U.S. citizen and will be subject to a background investigation due to the sensitive nature of the work performed by the office.
- The Department of Justice Student Volunteer Service Agreement must be completed for all student volunteers and signed by the student, school official, and U.S. Attorney’s Office designee.
How to Apply?
Interested candidates have to submit cover letter, resume, law school transcript, legal writing sample, dates when available to work, and contact information including mailing address, e-mail address, and current telephone number(s).
lf first semester transcripts for first year students are not available at the application deadline, that fact should be noted in the cover letter, and the transcript should be forwarded as soon as it is available.
Please email your package to: Anthony.Bailey2@usdoj.gov
The application deadline is November 1, 2023.