Purpose currently seeks applications for legal internships at their office.
Purpose builds and supports movements to advance the fight for an open, just, and habitable world. They use public mobilization and storytelling to help the leading organizations, businesses, activists, and philanthropies engaged in this fight, and create campaigning labs and new initiatives that can shift policies and change. Purpose takes on some of the biggest challenges in the world, which affect people of different identities and backgrounds in different ways.
About the Opportunity
As a Legal Intern at Purpose, you will be working alongside the People, Culture, and Operations (Finance, Legal, IT and HR) team to assist in reviewing agreements, legal research, and special projects. You will report to the General Counsel. This role is a part time position which will require a commitment of up to 20 hours per week.
Mode of Internship
Roles and Responsibilities of the Intern
- Assist in reviewing agreements, including procurement agreements, client and funder agreements, grant agreements, licensing agreements and non-disclosure agreements.
- Draft ancillary documents and legal templates such as powers of attorney and memorandums of understandings.
- Perform legal research on various legal issues ranging from corporate governance, tax, compliance, intellectual property, labor and employment laws, data privacy, and foreign and international law matters.
- Conduct 1-2 special capstone projects
- Assist General Counsel and IT in company’s data privacy and data protection compliance efforts
- Serve as liaison to other project and functional teams at Purpose, including project managers, IT, C-suite leadership.
- Support General Counsel as a member of the Legal team.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- 2L or 3L law student enrolled in an accredited law school.
- Trained and experienced in legal research on legal research platforms (e.g. WestLaw, LexisNexis, BloombergLaw) and mainstream search engines with ability to identify key legal issues and turnaround concise answers to questions with appropriate recommendations.
- Proficient in Google Docs Editors Suite (Docs, Slides, Sheets, Drawings, Forms, Calendar, Drive); Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Powerpoint); and Adobe Acrobat
- Proficient with email, video conferencing programs (Google Meet and Zoom), and all other forms of digital communication (e.g. Slack)
- Ability to multitask, collaborate with others and to take initiative.
- Eligible to work in country.
The role is offered at the Jr Associate tier with an hourly rate of $25.
How to Apply?
Interested candidates can apply through the link provided at the end of this post.
New York, United States