Manhattan Legal Services seeks law students to intern full-time during summer 2023.
About the Firm
Manhattan Legal Services is a part of Legal Services-NYC, one of the largest civil legal services provider in the nation. They fight poverty and seek economic, social and racial justice for low- income borough residents through the provision of free legal representation, systemic advocacy and community education. Manhattan Legal Services handles cases in the full range of civil legal matters that affect the lives of low-income people in New York City.
About the Opportunity
Each summer the company recruits law students from around the country to expand the services available in Manhattan and to help train the next generation of public interest lawyers. Interns will learn new areas of the law, gain hands-on experience, and provide an important public service.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Client intake, interviewing and outreach
- Legal research and writing
- Observation of court proceedings and/or administrative hearings; and
- Advocacy and representation with administrative agencies
- Interns will receive close supervision and will also have opportunities to attend court proceedings and interact with clients.
- Fluency in Spanish or a Chinese language is desirable.
- A commitment of 35 hours per week is required during the summer
How to Apply
- If you are interested in working with the firm, please send a resume, cover letter, writing sample, and transcript to MLSInternships@lsnyc.org
- Interns should indicate in their application materials their preference for placement in the following units: Housing Rights, Disability Advocacy, Family Law, Immigration, Government Benefits, LGBTQ/HIV Advocacy.