Hebrew Immigrant Aid Society (HIAS) in Silver Spring, Maryland is inviting applications from eligible candidates for its hybrid legal internship opportunity.
Over one hundred years ago, the Jewish community founded HIAS (originally the Hebrew Immigrant Aid Society) in New York City, the immigrant gateway to America. Supporting Jews fleeing persecution and poverty in Eastern Europe, the founders of HIAS were guided by the traditions, texts, and history of the Jewish people.
About the Opportunity
Hebrew Immigrant Aid Society (HIAS) in Silver Spring, Maryland is inviting applications from eligible candidates for its hybrid legal internship opportunity to assist HIAS’ direct legal services programs, which benefit forcibly displaced immigrants seeking asylum and other relief in the United States.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Conduct thorough legal and factual research on topics assigned by Staff Attorneys.
- Write memorandums, briefs, and other documents in support of HIAS’ immigration legal cases.
- Research and develop materials to train Pro Bono Attorneys on substantive legal issues in immigration and asylum law.
- Develop declarations and application forms through interviews with clients.
- Assist the legal team in the preparation and presentation of asylum claims (affirmative and defensive), special immigrant juvenile cases, U-Visa, T-Visa, and other cases.
- Review, prepare, and finalize applications for client benefits submitted by Pro Bono Attorneys, including I-485 Applications for Adjustment of Status.
- Maintain records and contribute to program reports in compliance with any applicable grants or other agreements.
- Assist Pro Bono Attorney teams with client interviews and client preparation of asylum claims.
- Current law student (rising 2L or 3L).
- Strong interest in asylum law and/or processing, human rights, and international law.
- Fluency in Spanish, French, and/or Russian is strongly preferred.
- Must be resourceful, thorough, and analytical to develop information and obtain materials relevant to the research requested.
- Excellent interpersonal, written, and oral communication skills.
- Excellent organizational and problem-solving skills are required.
Duration of the Internship
September 11, 2023, to December 15, 2023.
This position is unpaid but may be pursued for academic credit or a public interest stipend.
How to Apply?
Interested candidates can apply through the link provided at the end of this post.
Silver Spring, Maryland / WFH.