The Legal Aid Society’s Civil Practice has non-paid internships in its various NYC Borough offices and specialized units for Fall 2023.
About Legal Aid Society
The Legal Aid Society is an indispensable component of the legal, social, and economic fabric of New York City — passionately advocating for individuals and families across a variety of civil, criminal defense, and juvenile rights matters, while also fighting for legal reform.
About the Opportunity
The Legal Aid Society’s Civil Practice has non-paid internships in its various NYC Borough offices and specialized units for Fall 2023. Legal interns assist the Civil Practice attorneys, who work to improve the lives of low-income New Yorkers by helping vulnerable families and individuals obtain and maintain the basic necessities of life – housing, health care, food, and subsistence income or self-sufficiency.
Interns will work directly under the supervision of Civil Practice attorneys. Mandatory supervision will be conducted remotely. Students will also have the chance to attend remote intern trainings, webinars and CLE’s relevant to their internship.
Roles and Responsibilities
Interns will work directly under the supervision of Civil Practice attorneys. Duties may include: drafting motions, pleadings, memoranda of law, and affidavits; conducting legal research; attending court and administrative hearings with attorneys; assisting with client interviews; other duties as assigned.
- Currently a 2L or 3L law school student in good standing
- Relevant clinical program or work experience is preferred, but not required
- Demonstrated commitment to and interest in serving racially and socioeconomically oppressed communities
- Ability to work collegially and collaboratively with all members of the staff
- Ability to manage multiple tasks, deadlines, and think critically
- Fluency in languages besides English, in particular Spanish, is helpful but not required
New York City
Interested applicants must submit a Cover Letter and Resume as a single PDF document.
How to Apply?
Click on the link below the post to apply.