Mircosoft is inviting applications from eligible candidates for the Technical Advisor – Justice Reform role at its offices in the United States of America.
Microsoft Corporation is an American multinational technology corporation headquartered in Redmond, Washington. Microsoft’s best-known software products are the Windows operating system, the Microsoft Office suite, and the Internet Explorer and Edge web browsers.
About the Opportunity
The goal of Microsoft’s Justice Reform Initiative (JRI) is to advance racial equity and fairness in the criminal legal system so that communities can thrive.
Focusing on the front end of the criminal legal system (prevention, policing, prosecution), JRI partners with reform-focused nonprofits, law enforcement agencies, and academic institutions, as well as with internal Microsoft business groups, to apply Microsoft technology and expertise in ways that can help advance equity and reduce racial disparities for the Black and African American community.
The team currently seeks a Technical Advisor- Justice Reform to help identify and deploy Microsoft technology solutions and provide hands-on technical support for our strategic partnerships and Catalyst breadth grant program, as well as contribute to JRI’s all-up technology strategy (internal and external focus).
The typical base pay range for this role across the U.S. is USD $101,200 – $194,800 per year. There is a different range applicable to specific work locations, within the San Francisco Bay area and New York City metropolitan area, and the base pay range for this role in those locations is USD $130,000 – $213,200 per year.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Understanding partners’ overall data estate, data capacity, priorities and success measures to inform technical engagement.
- Proposing, validating, and deploying a wide range of technical approaches that align with the technical capacity of partner organizations, and advising on ways in which technology and data can accelerate their impact.
- Providing hands-on technology support and capacity building to partner organizations with special emphasis on Power Business Intelligence (BI), data visualizations, data pipeline and analytics (Azure), artificial intelligence, and Power Platform technologies.
- Ensuring that solutions exhibit high levels of performance, security, scalability, maintainability, appropriate reusability and reliability upon deployment.
- Co-developing the team’s internal and external technology strategy and leading the execution of that strategy on an ongoing basis.
- Using exceptional project management skills and attention to detail to support deployment of Microsoft technology solutions internally and externally
- Manage relationships with Microsoft commercial partners while serving as a technical advocate for Justice Reform Initiative partner organizations.
- Applying a racial equity lens to all technology implementation opportunities, and advising internal and external stakeholders on opportunities to apply an equity lens in the deployment of technology and to data analyses and visualizations.
- Maintaining and advancing technical skills and knowledge and staying abreast of issues related to disparate outcomes resulting from improper use of technology in the justice reform space and criminal legal system.
- Representing Justice Reform Initiative to external organizations and audiences and applying a customer service mindset at all times.
- Bachelor’s Degree AND 3+ years experience in corporate social responsibility, philanthropies, corporate affairs, or related area
- o OR 5+ years experience in corporate social responsibility, philanthropies, corporate affairs, or related area.
- Ability to meet Microsoft, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. These requirements include, but are not limited to the following specialized security screenings: Microsoft Cloud Background Check: This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud Background Check upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter.
- 7+ years experience in corporate social responsibility, philanthropies, corporate affairs, or related area.
- 3+ years experience managing a corporate social responsibility or related program.
- 3+ years experience working in or with a large, matrixed organization
- 8+ years experience in technical roles, experience working in or with nonprofit organizations, justice reform organizations, or law enforcement agencies, and demonstrated expertise in providing technical consulting to organizations of varying technical capacity.
- A deep understanding of Azure tools related to building and deploying data pipelines, data analytics, and Power BI data visualization, and will be knowledgeable on applications of these solutions and capabilities in the nonprofit sector and/or justice reform space.
- A high degree of cultural competency and sensitivity to issues of racial equity in the criminal legal system is required.
- Experience in computer science, data science, or related technical fields is also required.
- Deep understanding of issues related to justice reform, bias, and disparities in the criminal legal system, as well as a desire to work toward a more fair and equitable criminal legal system.
- Knowledge and/or demonstrated curiosity in applied Artificial Intelligence (AI) is a plus.
- Demonstrated ability, comfort, and interest in engaging in technical conversations across a wide breadth of technical domains with organizations that may have limited technical capacity and/or knowledge of technical concepts.
- Experience working in the nonprofit sector or with nonprofit organizations in a technical role preferred.
- An ability to cultivate and maintain relationships across Microsoft and with partner and grantee organizations in the justice reform space.
- An ability to engage substantively with engineers, business leaders, and advocates at all levels.
- An ability to lead and influence without authority.
- A high degree of emotional intelligence and ability to demonstrate empathy in sensitive situations.
- Washington D.C., District of Columbia, United States
- New York, United States
- Charlotte, North Carolina, United States
- Atlanta, Georgia, United States
- San Jose, California, United States