Sycuan Casino Resort is inviting applications from eligible candidates for the job title of Assistant General Counsel in El Cajon, California.
About Sycuan Casino Resort
Sycuan Casino Resort is a luxury hotel tower based in El Cajon, California.
About the Opportunity
The purpose of the opportunity is to serve as Assistant or Deputy legal representative to the Sycuan General Counsel, and as an advisor to the Sycuan Band of the Kumeyaay Nation.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Provide timely and efficient legal services as directed by the General Counsel to officers, directors, employees, Tribal government, and Tribal business enterprises, including subordinate Tribal entities
- Research legal issues and provides legal analysis pertaining to Tribal Government policies, codes, ordinances, positions, and actions in which legal considerations are necessary and advises the Tribal Council accordingly
- Enhance and protect the Tribe’s sovereignty, jurisdiction, and authority
- Provide legal consultation and guidance to officers, directors, management, and staff on a wide range of issues including real property, tort, contract gaming, child welfare, land use, taxation, code drafting, tribal court development, environmental, intellectual property, employment law and litigation, and laws designed to protect and preserve the Sycuan and Kumeyaay cultural heritage
- Assist in developing approaches and strategies related to issues in which legislative factors play a role and presents plans to Tribal Council for approval
- Prepare, review, and examine complex contracts, agreements, briefs, legal protests, dispute resolutions, resolutions, leases, deeds, ordinances, and other documents (Tribal, state, federal)
- Assist specialized outside counsel as needed
- Provide legal consultation and guidance General Counsel and to Tribal Council
- Represent the tribe and its representatives in judicial, legislative, executive, and administrative proceedings in federal, state, and tribal courts
- Support and assist in the preparation and maintenance of Legal Departmental records
- Undertake special legal projects as assigned by the Tribal Council
- Assist General Counsel with compliance with the compact between the tribe and state and with modifications, renegotiations or amendments, or implementing regulations
- Provide contract review and negotiations, and outside vendor transactions
- Attend conferences, educational courses, and training to maintain professional growth and improve professional expertise
- Juris Doctorate Degree from an ABA-accredited law school
- California Bar member in good standing
- 6-10 years experience as a practicing attorney or in-house counsel with an emphasis on federal Indian law, tribal courts, torts, contract, and business management
- Federal Indian Law experience
- Native-American legislative experience
- Tribal governance and business experience
Essential Skills and Knowledge
- In-depth knowledge of Federal, State, local, and Tribal law relating to Tribal business and government activities
- Working knowledge of contract documents and specifications
- Ability to communicate and interact effectively with internal and external contacts
- Ability to compose and prepare legal opinions, documents, and correspondence in English
- Ability to research and analyze complex legal data, summarize for Tribal Council, committees, departments, and business entities, and make sound recommendations
- Ability to prioritize and perform multiple tasks
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and meet deadlines
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Ability to maintain professionalism and composure
- Ability to accept constructive criticism
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office applications and calendar management
El Cajon, San Diego
How to Apply?
Interested candidates can apply through the link at the end of this post.