The Bronx District Attorney’s Office is looking for an eligible candidate for the position of Assistant District Attorney.
About the Organization
The Bronx County District Attorney is the elected district attorney for Bronx County, which is coterminous with the Borough of the Bronx, in New York City. The office is responsible for the prosecution of violations of New York state laws. (Federal law in the Bronx is prosecuted by the U.S. Attorney for the Southern District of New York). The current Bronx County District Attorney is Darcel Clark.
About the Opportunity
The Bronx District Attorney’s Office is seeking a well-qualified staff whose diverse backgrounds reflect an ability to serve the 1.4 million members of the Bronx County community and pursue a safer Bronx through fair justice. The Office’s Human Trafficking Unit (HTU) seeks experienced attorneys (3+ years) to serve as Assistant District Attorneys (ADAs). HTU focuses on rescuing and providing social services and resources to victims of sex trafficking and labor trafficking, as well as investigating, apprehending, and convicting those who promote, profit from, or patronize the commercial sex trade.
ADAs receive training in trauma informed forensic interview skills for human trafficking victims and survivors. HTU works closely with the NYPD’s Human Trafficking and Special Victims Squads, the FBI/NYPD Child Exploitation and Human Trafficking Task Force, Homeland Security Investigations, the Office’s Digital Forensics Lab, crime victims’ advocates and therapists in the Office’s Crime Victims Assistance Bureau, and various governmental and nongovernmental social service providers.
Candidates should be passionate about these types of cases and in working with this vulnerable population. Preferred candidates will have experience working with intimate partner violence and/or sexual assault cases, leading complex investigations, handling a felony caseload, presenting cases to a Grand Jury, litigating novel issues in motion practice, and leading or assisting in criminal trials.
Number of Vacancies
Roles and Responsibilities
- Manage a caseload involving felonies and pre-arrest investigations into sex and labor trafficking, or any other criminal conduct committed in conjunction with and in furtherance of human trafficking, such as drug possession, drug sales, robberies, burglaries, sexual assaults, assaults, harassment, weapons possession, financial crimes, and child pornography.
- Work closely with colleagues and supervisors to investigate, strategize and conference these complex cases
- Present appropriate felonies to the Grand Jury to secure indictments
- Collaborate with the multidisciplinary team of crime victims’ advocates and social service providers to assess survivor’s needs and connect them to appropriate social services
- Collaborate with the multidisciplinary team of investigators, forensic scientists, and law enforcement professionals to enhance investigations and cases
- Assess T-Visa applications and motions to vacate convictions for human trafficking survivors
- Staff on-call shifts. During a shift, there may be a need to go to a precinct, hospital, or Child Advocacy Center, or other location to meet with a victim, witness, or suspect
- Attend taskforce meetings, professional training, community outreach and educational programming, and other meetings as directed.
- Participate in occasional law enforcement operations outside of standard work hours.
- Staff courtrooms and make appropriate oral records on own and others’ cases
- Handle a high-volume of cases efficiently and effectively
- Collaborate with non-legal staff with discovery obligations
- Respond clearly and effectively (oral/written) to complex and novel legal issues
- Implement Office policies as directed
- Perform all other duties and projects as designated
- Juris Doctor degree required
- Minimum of three (3) years of relevant experience required
- US Citizenship and New York State Residency are required as of the first day of employment
- Member in good standing of the NY State Bar. You must provide an original current certificate of good standing
- Ability to both interact with and be comfortable with a diverse population
- Excellent interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills
- Ability to handle a high volume of cases and investigations
- Ability to conduct competent, resourceful investigations
- Ability to exercise good judgment and strong ethics
- Ability to analytically solve issues or problems from inception through conclusion
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of information
- Ability to excel in a fast-paced work environment
- Exceptional organizational skills and strong attention to detail
- Ability to be on-call during nights, holidays and weekends
- Prior experience in forensic interviewing preferred but on-the-job training can be arranged
- Knowledge of the neighborhoods, resources and population of Bronx County preferred
$80,440.00 – $167,610.00
How to Apply?
Interested candidates can apply through the link given below.
In case of queries, please contact:
- Phone: 718-590-2258
- Email at email@example.com.