YWCA, Illinois is expanding its team and inviting applications for a Legal Outreach Advocate job.
About YWCA, USA
YWCA USA is a nonprofit organization dedicated to eliminating racism, empowering women, and promoting peace, justice, freedom, and dignity for all. It is one of the “oldest and largest multicultural organizations promoting solutions to enhance the lives of women, girls, and families.
About Legal Outreach Advocate
The Legal Outreach Advocate, as part of a larger domestic violence services team, provides court-based legal advocacy services for survivors of domestic violence seeking orders of protection, with a special emphasis on outreach and education to immigrant survivors. They are inviting applications for a Legal Outreach Advocate job.
Role and Responsibilities
Legal Advocacy Services (65%)
- Provides legal advocacy and support to survivors of domestic violence at Cook County’s District 2 Courthouse and YWCA Evanston/North Shore
- Assists survivors of domestic violence with understanding their legal rights under the IDVA, seeking orders of protection, and accompanying them to court. At the request of a client, advocate on their behalf with the opposing party, the court system, and law enforcement
- Maintains relationships with courthouse personnel and community partners
- Facilitates legal information groups for immigrant survivors of domestic violence.
- Provides safety planning and assessment to all clients accessing legal advocacy services
- Assists with the preparation and timely submission of all client-related court documents; all court documents must be completed with a high level of accuracy and attention to detail
Community Outreach & Education (20%)
- Collaborates with the program director to help build the capacity to serve immigrant survivors, which could include developing and implementing targeted outreach strategies, creating program materials and curricula, and generally increasing immigrant communities’ engagement in our services.
- Collaborates with the domestic violence project team focused on expanding services to the immigrant community on the North Shore to develop and implement outreach and education plans, including regularly providing training and tabling on relevant legal topics.
Record Keeping and Documentation: (10%)
- Completes and submits in a timely fashion all necessary reporting documentation, including written narratives on all interactions with clients.
- Oversees completion of intake and ongoing paperwork for assigned clients.
Eligibility for Legal Outreach Job
- Experience delivering direct services to survivors of trauma
- Proficiency in Spanish
- Successful completion of Illinois 40-Hour Domestic Violence Training within 60 days of the start
- Successful completion of ICDVP exam within 12 months of start
- First Aid/CPR within 6 months of employment
- Valid driver’s license and auto insurance
- YWCA requires that all employees be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 and submit proof of vaccination to Human Resources unless a request for a medical or religious accommodation is granted
- Bachelor of Arts in Counseling, Social Work, Legal Studies, or other related fields
- 40-Hour Illinois Domestic Violence Training
- ICDVP Certification
How to Apply?
Please find the link at the end of this post.
$18.73 – $20.55 / hourly