The Legal Aid Society’s Civil Practice is seeking an experienced and talented lawyer for the position of Supervising Attorney, Housing Justice – Group Advocacy.
About the Organization
The Housing Justice – Group Advocacy Program is a city-wide anti-displacement and tenant protection project focusing on supporting low-income tenant communities facing rapid gentrification in the five boroughs of New York City.
About the Position
- The Supervising Attorney will be responsible for the smooth and effective day-to-day operations of the Housing Justice Program in the assigned office.
- The Supervising Attorney will also coordinate some grant projects, mentor and supervise staff, provide legal leadership, and prioritize legal issues.
- The Supervising Attorney participates in Practice-wide management discussions and decision-making and is responsible for maintaining relationships with other stakeholders in the legal, court, and service communities.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Train and supervise staff attorneys, paralegals, interns/externs, and volunteers
- Monitor and maintain a high standard of representation and client service
- Collaborate and work closely with the Director of Housing Justice-Group Advocacy and the housing, benefits and grants management teams on all aspects of the citywide housing practice
- Maintain a limited caseload
- Develop impact and/or affirmative litigation
- Assist with the implementation and reporting of programs
- Coordinate intake
- Provide oversight of pro bono initiatives within the program
- Respond to client, community, and staff concerns
- Analyze legal issues, develop legal strategy, and supervise the implementation of legal strategies
- Prepare and submit necessary grant-reporting paperwork
- Assist with planning and conducting citywide and statewide coalition meetings and task forces
- Develop and maintain community support and relationships with community-based organizations, advocates, government agencies, elected officials, and the courts
- Represent the Civil Practice and Legal Aid in the community
- Conduct community education, organizing, training, and outreach and promote the work of the program, office, the Housing Practice, the Civil Practice, and Legal Aid generally
- Implement and support the organizing, expanding, and maintaining of tenant associations, block associations, resident groups, and/or other housing related groups
- Oversee group tenant representation and affirmation litigation to enforce tenant rights and work with community and housing organizers
- Implement and supervise regular intake with community-based organizations, in Housing Court, at Single Stop, or at other community sites and oversee the formation of tenant associations
- Conduct off-site intake, including during evening or weekend hours as needed
- Supervision of Tenant Defense may be required
- Admission to the New York State Bar
- Minimum of three years of legal practice preferred
- Excellent litigation skills. Experience litigating individual and group cases in various forums desirable
- Demonstrated commitment to addressing fundamental issues of poverty and justice within a comprehensive civil legal services model of representation
- Knowledge in various practice areas within civil legal services practice
- Excellent oral and written advocacy skills
- Demonstrated experience in public interest law and civil legal services
- Experience in policy advocacy and administrative reform
- Experience working with vulnerable populations
- Supervisory, training, mentoring, and management experience preferred
- Demonstrated leadership ability
- Grant-writing and fundraising experience is a plus
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, and organizational skills
- Commitment to exploring alternative approaches for legal practice
- Ability to work in a collaborative team model
- Pro bono, government, public service, and academic experience will be considered
- Proficiency in languages other than English is highly desirable
Please submit these documents as a single combined PDF when you apply via the LAS (Legal Aid Society) Recruitment Portal.
- Cover Letter
- Writing Sample
Kew Garden, New York
How to Apply?
Click on the link below the post to apply.