The Legal Aid Society is inviting applications from eligible candidates for Criminal Appeals Bureau Undergraduate Internship.
About the Organization
The Legal Aid Society is the largest and oldest provider of social justice legal services in the country. The Law Reform team of the Criminal Defense Practice includes Legal Aid’s Special Litigation Unit, Prisoners’ Rights Project, Community Justice Unit, and Decarceration Project. The Criminal Appeals Bureau (CAB) of The Legal Aid Society is the largest post-conviction public defender in New York City.
About the Position
The Legal Aid Society has openings for Undergraduate interns. Undergraduate interns will primarily assist attorney staff with closing/organizing cases for archiving. In doing so, interns learn about appellate work and see the breadth of the advocacy CAB undertakes on behalf of clients.
This is an in-person position requiring a commitment of at least 3 days/week including Wednesdays, for a period of at least 10 weeks, starting in June. Full-time commitment of 5 days/week welcomed. All internships are unpaid.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Close cases that have been resolved, including organizing physical files and updating and attaching documents to the case management system
- Assist CAB’s transition to a digital environment, including scanning and formatting records
- Obtaining court records
- Other duties as assigned
- Experience assisting in administrative tasks in an office setting, preferably a non-profit
- Proficient in Microsoft Office programs
- Attention to detail and ability to meet deadlines
- Interest in and commitment to social justice issues and criminal defense
- Must be rising juniors, seniors, or 2023 graduates
New York City
How to Apply?
Please submit these documents as a single combined PDF when you apply via the LAS (Legal Aid Society) Recruitment Portal.
- Cover letter