Lambda Legal is inviting applications from eligible candidates for the position of Legal Intern at Lambda Legal, New York.
About Lambda Legal
Lambda Legal is a national organization committed to achieving full recognition of the civil rights of lesbians, gay men, bisexuals, transgender people and everyone living with HIV through impact litigation, education and public policy work. Headquartered in New York City, Lambda Legal has regional offices in Los Angeles, Chicago, Atlanta, Dallas, and Washington, DC.
About the Opportunity
Lambda Legal invites successful candidates to work in a racially- and gender-diverse environment and to contribute to a positive and inclusive atmosphere.
Mode of Internship
Roles and Responsibilities
Summer interns primarily assist attorneys with litigation and policy tasks. This may include legislative research and tracking, investigation, research and drafting in ongoing cases, prospective cases, and amicus curiae briefs, in all areas of sexual orientation, gender identity, and HIV discrimination. Interns may also research, draft, and/or edit publications on these issues for public education and may assist in maintenance and expansion of resources for our national legal Help Desk.
- Due to the focused and challenging nature of the work Lambda Legal does, they prefer to hire law students who have some experience with issues relating to our mission. Thus, a background in or familiarity with issues important to lesbians, gay men, bisexuals, transgender people, and those living with HIV will greatly strengthen an application.
- Commitment to public interest law also greatly strengthens an application.
- Considering the amount of independent work required, second- and third-year students are preferred.
- Lambda Legal encourages applications from people of color and people with disabilities, including HIV.
Lambda Legal requires applicants to make diligent efforts to secure summer funding from their law schools. However, Lambda Legal is prepared to provide a stipend of up to $6,000 (pre-tax) for a 10-week internship for students for whom funding is not available.
How to Apply?
Interested candidates can apply through the link provided at the end of this post.
Students interested in summer internships should apply beginning in the Fall.
- Midwest Regional Office, Chicago
- National Headquarters, New York
- South Central Regional Office, Dallas
- Southern Regional Office, Atlanta
- Washington DC Office
- Western Regional Office, Los Angeles