The office of the International Rescue Committee in Baltimore, Maryland is looking for a candidate for the position of Immigration Legal Services Intern.
About International Rescue Committee
International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. At work in more than 40 countries and over 20 U.S. cities, the IRC provides resettlement, education, and empowerment support to refugees and displaced people.
About the Opportunity
The office of the International Rescue Committee in Baltimore, Maryland is looking for suitable candidates for the position of Immigration Legal Services Intern w ho will ideally have prior experience and/or interest in working with refugees and immigrants.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Under the guidance of IRC immigration staff, meet with clients to assist with specific applications and forms.
- Track, file, and mail relevant documents, applications, and notices of action; maintain immigration databases.
- Ensure that translation services for immigration processes and procedures are provided in a language that is accessible to clients during intakes and application completions.
- Assist with special research or other projects.
- Other tasks and related duties as assigned.
- Prior experience and/or interest in working with refugees and immigrants.
- Prior experience and/or interest in law or providing nonprofit legal services.
- Ability to work independently and as a team member in a fast-paced, cross-cultural environment.
- Ability to learn new immigration processes quickly.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, particularly with a diverse client base.
- Ability to keep clear and accurate case notes and records.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, Outlook) and web-based applications (databases, Box).
- Fluency in English is required.
- Bilingual ability in one of the predominant languages of the local client base is desired.
Internships with the IRC in Baltimore are unpaid. University credit may be arranged. Fall 2023 interns are eligible for per diem reimbursement at the rate of $15 per day (defined as 7.5 hours) to offset the costs of food and travel for the internship.
How to Apply?
Interested candidates can apply through the link provided at the end of this post.
July 30, 2023, at 11:59 PM ET.
Baltimore or WFH.