Sony Corporation of America, San Diego is inviting applications from eligible candidates for the post of Intellectual Property Counsel.
Sony Corporation of America, located in New York, NY, is the U.S. headquarters of Sony Group Corporation, based in Tokyo, Japan. Sony’s principal U.S. businesses include Sony Electronics Inc., Sony Interactive Entertainment LLC, Sony Music Entertainment, Sony Music Publishing, and Sony Pictures Entertainment Inc.
About the Opportunity
Sony Corporation of America (SCA) is seeking to hire an Intellectual Property Attorney to join the Intellectual Property Department (IPD) located in San Diego.
The candidate will be working with engineering teams and outside counsel on developing patent applications and reviewing documents to be filed with USPTO, including: i) new applications or office action responses prepared by outside counsel, and ii) other papers including Information Disclosure Statements prepared by the internal team and/or third-party vendors.
Additionally, the candidate will work with department and division executives developing plans and strategies for identifying and harvesting patentable innovations, wherein such plans are guided by a deep understanding of client priorities, and IPD goals and resources.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Interact with and potentially influence executives of both US divisions and US and Japan IPDs on significant matters of intellectual property, i.e., IP risk management, strategic patenting direction or focus, and resource management.
- Participates in decisions on administrative or operational matters and ensures effective achievement of objectives
- Prepare and review patent applications, official responses and other documents related to patent application preparation and prosecution
- Prepare and review opinions of patent non-infringement or patent invalidity
- Counsel in areas related to intellectual property procurement and protection
- Educate engineering and management groups in areas related to intellectual property law fundamentals and developments, and best practices for intellectual property procurement and protection
- Conduct interviews with engineers/inventors to identify and protect patentable subject matter
- Develop intellectual property protection and procurement strategies with management
- Work with inside and outside counsel in areas related to patent procurement and protection
- Conduct intellectual property due diligence in connection with corporate transactions
- Manage and train the internal team including the preparation and filing of Information Disclosure Statements with the US PTO
- Supervise and oversee personnel in connection with administrative practices and procedures for procuring intellectual property
- We are seeking a minimum of 8 years of experience as an attorney practising in intellectual property, specifically in patent law.
- The ideal candidate must have a mix of law firm and corporate law department experience.
- Strong background in all aspects of patent prosecution (patent licensing or litigation experience is a plus, but not required – the present position does not include patent licensing or litigation)
- Strong organizational skills with a demonstrated ability to manage multiple tasks and excellent client relation skills
- Bachelor’s and Juris Doctorate degrees are required
- Bachelor’s degree in science is required (such as Computer Science or Electrical Engineering)
- Admission in good standing in at least one state bar, preferably California
- Admission in good standing to the US PTO
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written
- Ability to work independently as well as within a team environment
How to Apply?
Interested candidates may apply for this position through the link provided towards the end of this post.
$ 220,000 to 240,000.
In addition to competitive pay and benefits, we offer an environment and culture that promotes Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion. We are committed to creating an inclusive employee experience for you to thrive as part of Sony’s purpose to “fill the world with emotion through the power of creativity and technology”.
SCA offers benefits-eligible employees (generally regular employees scheduled to work 20 or more hours a week) a comprehensive benefits program that offers coverage and support for employees and their family’s physical, emotional, and financial well-being.
- Comprehensive medical, prescription drug, dental, and vision coverage with coverage for spouses/domestic partners and child dependents, including access to a Health Savings Account (HSA) and Flexible Spending Account (FSA)
- Employee assistance plan and comprehensive behavioural health benefits
- Fertility benefits, including surrogacy, and adoption assistance programs
- Basic and supplemental life insurance for employees as well as supplemental life insurance coverage for their spouses/domestic partners and children
- Voluntary benefits such as group legal, identity theft protection, accident, and hospital indemnity insurance
- Short-term & long-term disability plans
- Paid parental and caregiver leave
- 401(k) Plan with pre-tax, Roth, and after-tax options and company match which vests immediately
- Education assistance and student loan programs
- Time off to include vacation, paid holidays, sick leave, Summer Fridays (early release), and a winter break between Christmas and New Year’s Day (based on business needs)
- Referral bonuses (subject to eligibility)
- Matching gift program
- A wide variety of employee business resource groups (EBRGs)
- Special discounts on Sony products offered exclusively to Sony employees
- Employee stock purchase plan (Sony covers commissions and fees for your Sony stock purchases made through after-tax payroll deductions)
- Annual incentive bonus