Sony Corporation of America, New York is inviting applications from eligible candidates for the post of Benefits Attorney.
Sony Corporation of America, located in New York, NY, is the U.S. headquarters of Sony Group Corporation, based in Tokyo, Japan. Sony’s principal U.S. businesses include Sony Electronics Inc., Sony Interactive Entertainment LLC, Sony Music Entertainment, Sony Music Publishing, and Sony Pictures Entertainment Inc.
About the Opportunity
Sony Corporation of America (SCA) has a unique opportunity for a full-time Benefits Attorney. This role will be part of our Human Resources Team, reporting into the Benefits Counsel and will also work closely with our Senior Benefits Paralegal. This role will be based out of our New York City office.
The successful candidate will provide comprehensive, proactive, commercial and practical legal services to internal clients (primarily, employee benefits and human resources staff of SCA and our US affiliates).
The Benefits Attorney is a valued business partner to our internal clients and will be expected not only to provide legal advice and guidance, but also to help our clients apply that advice and guidance to make sound business decisions. We work in a fast paced, hands-on, small team environment, where being both a self-starter and team player is necessary.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Provide legal services to assigned internal client groups for employee benefit matters related to qualified and non-qualified retirement plans as well as health and welfare plans
- Review, negotiate, and amend HR and benefit vendor contracts (and coordinate review with internal stakeholders such as corporate legal, information security, privacy, risk management)
- Support annual benefit plan audits (review Form 5500 and related financial statements) and timely filing of other required government reports
- Assist internal client groups with researching and responding to –participant inquiries and employee benefit claims/appeals/litigation
- Monitor compliance with applicable employee benefit and compensation laws (e.g., ERISA, IRC, COBRA, HIPAA, PPACA, FMLA, ACA, MHPAEA, CAA) and related regulations, and provide timely updates of pending changes in laws and regulations to client groups
- Draft and review plan documents, summary plan descriptions, summary of material modifications, policies, employee communications, annual enrollment materials
- Review and negotiate trust agreements, investment management agreements and related documents
- Support the company’s merger and acquisition transactions and due diligence as well as post-merger integration activities
- Respond to governmental agency inquiries
- Support the correction of any documentary, administrative, operational or fiduciary errors
- Provide guidance and support to the Senior Benefits Paralegal
- A JD from an accredited law school and active bar membership in at least one State (NY preferred) are required
- Minimum of 3 years related legal experience from a competitive law firm or corporate environment (prior in-house experience is a plus)
- M&A experience and familiarity with employment laws is helpful
- A proven ability to learn quickly, interact easily with all levels of employees, meet deadlines, and handle and prioritize multiple projects, is essential
- Must possess excellent written and oral communications skills, comprehensive interpersonal skills, the ability to work very closely with the business side and a demonstrated ability to approach issues with a strategic focus
- Must be comfortable with working both in a team setting and independently, with an ability to take ownership
- Must be eligible to work unrestricted in the USA
How to Apply?
Interested candidates may apply for this position through the link provided towards the end of this post.
$180,000 to 200,000
In addition to competitive pay and benefits, we offer an environment and culture that promotes Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion. We are committed to creating an inclusive employee experience for you to thrive as part of Sony’s purpose to “fill the world with emotion through the power of creativity and technology”.
SCA offers benefits-eligible employees (generally regular employees scheduled to work 20 or more hours a week) a comprehensive benefits program that offers coverage and support for employees and their family’s physical, emotional, and financial well-being.
- Comprehensive medical, prescription drug, dental, and vision coverage with coverage for spouses/domestic partners and child dependents, including access to a Health Savings Account (HSA) and Flexible Spending Account (FSA)
- Employee assistance plan and comprehensive behavioural health benefits
- Fertility benefits, including surrogacy, and adoption assistance programs
- Basic and supplemental life insurance for employees as well as supplemental life insurance coverage for their spouses/domestic partners and children
- Voluntary benefits such as group legal, identity theft protection, accident, and hospital indemnity insurance
- Short-term & long-term disability plans
- Paid parental and caregiver leave
- 401(k) Plan with pre-tax, Roth, and after-tax options and company match which vests immediately
- Education assistance and student loan programs
- Time off to include vacation, paid holidays, sick leave, Summer Fridays (early release), and a winter break between Christmas and New Year’s Day (based on business needs)
- Referral bonuses (subject to eligibility)
- Matching gift program
- A wide variety of employee business resource groups (EBRGs)
- Special discounts on Sony products offered exclusively to Sony employees
- Employee stock purchase plan (Sony covers commissions and fees for your Sony stock purchases made through after-tax payroll deductions)
- Annual incentive bonus