Capital One is currently seeking applications for the post of Legal Specialist – Litigation.
About the Company
Capital One Financial Corporation is an American bank holding company specializing in credit cards, auto loans, banking, and savings accounts, headquartered in McLean, Virginia with operations primarily in the United States.
About the Opportunity
The Legal Department’s Litigation Team is seeking an entry level Associate to assist in managing litigation matters. The position will report to a lawyer responsible for managing Capital One’s one or more of Capital One’s litigation portfolios across the United States. This role will involve interaction with internal business associates and with internal and external legal counsel.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Reviewing and analyzing litigation matters
- Analyzing complaints, significant matters, motions, discovery, disputes, and fraud claims
- Performing research to independently gather internal documents and information relevant to cases
- Maintaining litigation case files, including pleadings, discovery, and correspondence
- Supporting internal and external legal counsel in identifying relevant account information and developing litigation strategies
- Managing interactions with external counsel and performing necessary research to respond to complaints, counterclaims and discovery requests
- Working a high volume caseload, managing competing priorities, and meeting litigation deadlines
- Working cases in an efficient and effective way to mitigate risk for the company
- Working with internal legal counsel and/or business clients to improve existing business practices and procedures
- High School Diploma, GED, or equivalent certification
- Proficiency in either Google Workspace (formerly G Suite – Gmail and Google Docs and Drive) or Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook)
- Successful completion of a paralegal studies program or a 4-year undergraduate degree 3.7+ GPA in completed program
- Provide a stellar writing sample from a past project
- 1 year experience in the legal field as a legal support associate
- Ability to coordinate and prioritize multiple projects, and meet deadlines under pressure
- Capability to anticipate and resolve problems quickly and independently
- Skilled in planning and execution of special projects during time-critical assignments
- Decisive and direct, yet flexible in responding to the constant change of an organization
- Enthusiastic, creative, and willing to assume increased responsibility
How to Apply?
Interested candidates can apply through the link provided at the end of this post