Ilani is inviting applications from eligible candidates for the position of Associate Attorney in Ridgefield.
The Ilani Casino Resort is a casino opened on April 24, 2017 and operated by the Cowlitz Indian Tribe, located near La Center, Washington.
About the Opportunity
This position provides legal assistance to the Director of Legal and & Compliance in the form of contract review, legal research as well as advising on various business initiatives. The Attorney will deal with a broad range of legal services on matters including, but not limited to, contract law, hospitality law, gaming law, employment law, administrative law, and tribal law.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Promotes superior guest service.
- Maintains, and perpetuates a positive organizational culture according to the principles of the Spirit of Tâlícn and the Core Values of Ilani.
- Assists the Director of Legal and Compliance with drafting, reviewing, and revising contractual agreements.
- Assists with licensing issues and ensures compliance with the Tribal/State compact, Indian Gaming Regulatory Act, state gaming laws, Cowlitz Tribal Gaming Commission, and other gaming regulatory requirements.
- Research and interpret issues, statutes, ordinances, resolutions, and other laws.
- Drafts legal opinions, ordinances, resolutions, and other legal documents.
- Reviews, and revises a wide variety of legal agreements.
- Works closely with Risk Management to ensure the protection of the assets of CTGA.
- Works closely with the Compliance department to ensure compliance with Title 31.
- Performs all functions in accordance with applicable laws and gaming regulations and the mission statement.
- Ensure the entity is compliant with a wide variety of laws and gaming regulations.
- Interface and work with regulatory bodies (federal, state, and local level), including gambling and alcohol commissions.
- Collaborates between Compliance and the casino departments to write and/or update effective internal controls and procedures.
- Supports HR function by assisting with internal investigations, examining ethics, drafting policies and procedures, providing guidance, drafting opinions, and ensuring compliance with applicable employment laws.
- Serves as a resource for all casino departments in addressing compliance issues.
- Works with Safety & Risk Manager and oversees P&C insurance program, policy placement, coverage disputes, broker relations, and workers’ compensation.
- Assists in the enforcement of the privacy rules pursuant to the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA).
- General review and negotiation of various contracts, intergovernmental agreements, and related agreements.
- Collaborates on the development of legal strategy in litigation and administrative proceedings, in coordination with the Director of Legal and Compliance and outside legal counsel.
- Prepares comments on proposed federal and state legislation and regulations.
- Manages and updates contract administration system.
- Maintains confidentiality of sensitive information
- Juris Doctor degree from an ABA-accredited law school.
- At least one year of transactional experience, specifically in corporate, finance, intellectual property, or other related areas.
- Must be licensed and in good standing with any state bar, with the ability to obtain Washington State in-house bar admission.
- Must possess excellent interpersonal skills with an ability to foster a supportive and enabling team environment.
- Superior communication skills, both oral and written, and the ability to liaise comfortably with all levels of management and outside counsel
- Highly independent, organized, and able to manage a significant number of active matters simultaneously.
- Ability to provide general legal services in a broad array of legal practice areas.
- Working knowledge of contractual agreement preparation and review, compliance, and employment law as well as applicable compacts and regulations governing gaming.
Essential Skills and Knowledge
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent organizational and multi-tasking skills.
- Intermediate knowledge of Word, Excel, and Outlook.
- Travel may be required.
- Must possess a valid Driver’s License.
- Must be able to sit in front of a computer for extended periods of time.
- Must be able to work various shifts and flexible hours.
- Must be willing to work in a smoking environment when on the casino floor.
- Must be willing to adhere to company safety measures in response to COVID-19 (wearing a face mask, social distancing).
- Experience at the attorney level in a large casino gaming environment or as a law firm partner representing casino gaming clients.
- Experience working for or with tribal governments, a law firm specializing in tribal &/or gaming law, or a graduate of an Indian law program.
- Previous experience in regulations and compliance and contract review.
- Working knowledge of federal Indian law, Washington State law, and other relevant Federal and state regulations and policies that apply to tribal communities.
How to Apply?
Interested candidates can apply through the link provided at the end of this post.