About the organisation and job
Earthjustice is the premier nonprofit environmental law organization.
Earthjustice’s Washington, DC, office is hiring an Associate Attorney to conduct legal advocacy and litigation. The position requires 1-5 years of post-law school legal experience.
- Work closely with Staff Attorneys and clients to investigate, develop, and prosecute cases.
- Participate, with increasing responsibility, in a range of tasks required for case development and litigation than can include factual investigation, legal research, discovery, briefing, witness preparation, and oral advocacy.
- As an Associate Attorney gains experience, typically her or his case load will include both cases for which he or she has primary responsibility under the supervision of a Staff Attorney, and cases on which he or she works in a supporting role with Staff Attorneys.
The Associate Attorney program is a three-year position with a possible extension.
This program is designed to help early career attorneys develop into thoughtful, professional, and effective advocates skilled in the various phases of public interest litigation. Earthjustice seeks to foster the development, mentoring, and professional growth of Associates.
Many Associates have gone on to other positions within Earthjustice or with other public interest organizations.
- Law school graduate admitted to, or eligible to apply for admission to, the District of Columbia Bar.
- 1-5 years of post-law school legal experience, with litigation experience preferred.
- Excellent research, analytic, writing and communication skills.
- Strong work ethic, initiative, sound judgment, and creativity.
- Ability to work constructively and in a highly professional manner in a diverse, dynamic, and hard-working team-oriented atmosphere.
- Commitment to public interest work and a passion for the role of Earthjustice and its mission.
- Awareness and sensitivity to the needs and concerns of individuals from diverse cultures, backgrounds and orientations.
Interested candidates should submit a:
- One- or two-page cover letter that addresses at least the following subjects: (1) why you are drawn to Earthjustice’s mission and whether there are particular legal, environmental, or social justice issues that inspire you; and (2) aspects of your background that demonstrate competence to work with diverse clients and colleagues. Also, please include the earliest date you would be available to begin work.
- Writing sample, preferably a legal brief or memorandum that is either unedited or only lightly edited by someone other than you. Please include a cover sheet explaining the extent of editing by someone else.
- Law school transcript.
- List of three references.
- Applications from candidates graduating from law school in 2019 will not be considered.
To apply, click here.