Jacksonville Area Legal Aid seeks a motivated and insightful Florida-licensed attorney .
JALA is the premier litigation legal aid firm in the Southeastern United States. The mission of Jacksonville Area Legal Aid is to provide high-quality legal assistance to low-income and special needs groups – to empower them to accomplish energetic and affirmative advocacy, all to alleviate the circumstances, incidents, and causes of poverty and discrimination.
About the Opportunity
Major duty includes to improve access to legal services and improve the quality of referrals for residents of long-term care facilities and those in need of a home and community-based services to legal services providers, particularly for those at risk for abuse, neglect, or exploitation. This is a full-time position located in Jacksonville office.
As a JALA employee, you can expect immediate hands-on experience interviewing and counseling clients as well as litigating cases in Federal and State court. While there is a premium placed on initiative and self-motivation, you can expect to be supervised by lawyers who are recognized as subject matter experts in their field.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Embrace and support JALA’s mission, standards, policies and procedures, and confidentiality guidelines.
- Maintain a commitment and sensitivity to problems of economically disadvantaged and vulnerable populations.
- Perform intake interviews of applicants and assist in screening regarding eligibility for representation.
- Maintain a caseload commensurate with abilities in order to provide full and effective legal representation and advocacy.
- Maintain and grow knowledge in a specialized area of law, and competence in related areas of law, relevant to health law.
- Comply with all applicable regulations, policies, and grant requirements.
- Support, promote and participate in community education, outreach, and developing good public relations with client community, state and local bars, and other community groups.
- Direct and monitor activities of paralegals, legal assistants, and/or volunteers.
- Ensure that all applicable client files, data, and reports are accurate and complete.
- Perform other duties and projects as needed to support JALA’s mission.
- Member in good standing of The Florida Bar.
- Civil trial practice experience in law school clinical setting and/or law firm.
- Knowledge about public benefits in general including Social Security, SSDI, SSI, Medicare, Medicaid, etc., is a plus.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to effectively communicate verbally and in writing.
- Ability to effectively engage a diverse constituency of individuals and community stakeholders.
- Demonstrate resourcefulness and ability to take initiative in the development and completion of projects.
- Computer literate includes proficiency in Google and Microsoft applications.
Salary / Benefits
Salary commensurate with experience. Benefits package include, but are not limited to, medical, dental, vision, long-term disability insurance, group life insurance, remote/onsite work hybrid, and generous leave policy (e.g., 13 paid holidays plus 22 personal leave days in the first year, one-month sabbatical every four years).
How to Apply?
To apply, submit resume and a minimum of two professional references along with salary requirements (if any) to:
La Verne Morgan Andreasen, Esq., Chief Human Resources Officer Jacksonville Area Legal Aid
126 West Adams Street
Jacksonville, FL 32202
Jacksonville, Florida, US